Photography, Sculptures and things in between...

I work in the media of photography and sculptures, but I don't call myself exclusively a photographer or sculptor. By fusing those two expressions directly or indirectly I make art that exists in between them. You will see samples of my work below, and I will keep updating this blog whenever I have a chance, uploading images of my work as well as of others I find interesting.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

My show

I had my gallery show opening yesterday and I just came back home after surviving this month's Gallery Hop night. I saw a TON of people, talking to them about my new work. It was a lot of work but fun. Now I can take a little breather, so I figured I should post the images of my new pieces. These are the ones I am currently exhibiting at Sherrie Gallerie in Columbus, OH. The show will run through July 31st.
Here is my artist statement for this show.

Artist Statement
My new series titled, "Vista Interna" communicates certain desires and the sense of secrets that go with the act of voyeurism. These kinetic sculptures come to life by the hand of the audience and this interactivity is essential to make the viewing experience complete. Each piece displays a different scene inside, but they are always about a drama between a hand and red balls. There are many layers of meanings to each piece. However, I would like to leave the interpretations to each audience. This body of work attempts to tap into an intermediate zone where art and toy, reality and illusion and materials and spirit meet.

This is the frontal exterior view of the piece called "Vista Interna #1". It is an interactive sculpture to be activated by a viewer with the turn of a crank which is located in the back.
And here is the interior view through a peephole. The mechanical hand pushes down the black string which is connected to the red ball hanging on the outside. So when the finger moves, the ball moves too.
There are total 6 pieces and they are very similar in terms of exterior designs. They all use hand crank vintage phonograph motors as power sources. The switches on the backs are for the lights inside the boxes.

Here is "Vista Interna #2". Fingers tap on the floor and the red ball swings back and forth.

"Vista Interna #3". 2 inside fingers move and the red ball swings over them back and forth like a pendulum.

"Vista Interna #4". The fingers travel left and right back and forth over the red balls.

"Vista Interna #5". All 5 fingers move and gently rock the red balls cradled in the hand.

And "Vista Interna #6". 4 fingers in the back move up and down while the 2 red balls in the foreground dance around going back and forth across the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment